Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Intruder

It's nights like tonight that I lie awake in my bed, secretly FREAKING OUT.  On the verge of a panic attack.  You see,.. about 6 years ago I was the victim of an attempted robbery.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/article_879902e0-313e-5210-9d53-d56b184370e8.html
(I can't believe I was able to find this article!!)

At the time, it was nothing,.. I just thought I was super cool cause I was in the news.  I didn't ever have any reaction to the incident and it never affected me,..... until 3 years ago.

There was one incident where a girl, in Provo had gone missing.  It turns out in this particular story, the girl had gone hiking alone and had fallen and passed away,.. but for some reason, it sent me into a horrible panic stricken stage.  I was waking up in the middle of the night FREAKING out that there was someone in our apartment, and Peter would go check to find nothing, and then have to snuggle me super tight the rest of the night.  It was horrible.  But it eventually went away.  I get pretty nervous when I am home alone at night,.. but I am rarely home at night with out Peter.

But tonight,.. I am up,.. sleepless because of this story

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=14283096

This is not too far away from where we live,.. and by that I mean,.. this poor family is in our Stake.  I can't sleep.  It brings back all that stress and anxiety,.. and I am usually a pretty laid back person.  Every peep I hear coming from upstairs makes me jump.  (Chloe just started talking in her sleep as I was writing this, and my heart is racing, like I just ran a marathon!)

I said my prayers, and I said some more,.. I made Peter say some more prayers with me,.. and I still can't sleep.
I know that the Lord provides comfort and protection and I am grateful for that.  I am grateful that I can find comfort from speaking with him.  I know that if I ask, I shall receive, and he DOES comfort me.  I am grateful for the power of prayer and the power of the Holy Ghost,.. I know that he was with me that night my apartment was broken into, and he allowed me to stay calm to keep myself and my roommates safe.

I didn't start this post thinking I would bare testimony,.. but while I'm at it,.. I know my Savior lives, and I know that through him, all things are possible.  Especially today,.. I want to bare testimony of Fasting and Prayer and the guidance and peace that it gives.  I am grateful for the many channels we have been given to come to know Christ and understand him, and atonement.

I feel calmer now that have that all off my chest,.. and I am going to attempt sleep one more time.  Nighty night!

4 comments:

Kristine said...

I remember you telling me that story - but reading the report made it even scarier! I was freaked out last night too considering it's like 4 streets away! Drew had to work last night, and Rie woke up in the middle of the night with a terrified cry! Freaked me out! Needless to say, she stayed in my bed after.

Mel and David said...

Whoa! I shouldn't read stuff like that in the middle of the night while I am nursing Jayne... Although I think I have pretty good distance.

Scott, Mandi and the boys said...

Thanks for sharing Amanda! I hate reading stories like that cuz I get the same way. Scary it was soooo close to you. Thankful the Savior is in our lives and does have a way to comfort and protect us!!

Amy C. said...

I read this yesterday and it totally made me have a terrifying night. Jared was gone and I heard all kinds of noises.