Monday, June 28, 2010

Motherly Guilt

Dear Bailey,

I hope that you can forgive me for missing your 3rd birthday.  I'm sorry I won't be here to sing you Happy Birthday in bed while giving you your breakfast, and watching you open a present.  I'm sorry I won't get to kiss you to sleep the last night you are 2.  I'm sorry I won't get to grab you at any given moment during YOUR big day and wish you a Happy Birthday and smother you in kisses.  I'm sorry I won't get to make your lunch for you, and put a candle in it.  I'm sorry I won't be the one that does your princess hair in the morning. I'm sorry I won't get to put your princess panties on you and tell you that you are more beautiful than ANY Disney princess. I'm sorry I won't get to give you juice all day long, because that is how you survive.  I'm sorry I won't get to lay you down for your nap and read you however many books you want to read before you rest your beautiful head of silky blond hair on your princess pillow.  I'm sorry I won't get to come and get you when you wake up from your nap, and see your glowing face when I tell you, you get to go to the "Pirate Place" and have dinner with Spencer.  I'm sorry I won't be there when Captain Jack Sparrow comes and talks to you, and wishes you a Happy Birthday.  I'm sorry I won't get to help you blow out your Pirate Princess candles.  I'm sorry I won't get to pry you out of the beloved fantasy world of Pirate Paradise, bring you home, put on your pull-up, sing to you one more time, and kiss you off to your princess dreams of wishing on stars and marrying your prince in the temple.  

I'm sorry sweetheart.

I'm so happy that I get to be your mommy.  I'm so happy that you are such a sweet girl, with a spicy attitude that puts people in their place.  I'm so happy that you want to grow up and go to the temple like Mommy and Daddy.  I'm so happy that you are such an amazing sister, who begs for Chloe to wake up so you can play. I'm so happy that you and Chloe are best friends and you laugh together all day long.  I'm so happy you help me do my make-up.  I'm so happy that you love your Daddy so much(it makes me feel good to know I did such a good job picking out a daddy for my babies!)  I'm so happy that you love all of your cousins so deeply.  I'm so happy that 3 years ago you came into my life, making me a mommy, and making me want to be better.  I'm so happy that you fill my world with magic and laughter, and life, and living, and make-believe.  I'm so happy I have such a beautiful, happy, cheerful, hug giving, kiss receiving, stinky breath telling girl to come pull me out of bed in the morning.  

I'm so happy I have you big girl!

Happy Birthday!!



Love, Your Mommy forever, because of the temple.

5 comments:

Mel and David said...

Good thing as a little girl my memories of my mom weren't just on my birthday.... in fact they were made on ordinary days, with ordinary moments and an extrordinary mother. I know Bailey feels the same. Happy Birthday Bailey!!! I'll never forget holding you in the hospital days after you were born! Love you! Happy birthday!

Kristine said...

Awe! So sweet! Now I am going to feel guilty that I get to spend time with you on that special day instead of her!

Tyler and Kristen said...

oh man, you made me get all teary eyed! Maybe it was because for some reason for like 6 seconds I was afraid that you were dying or something. weird. so cute.

RATCH said...

Bailwy looks slightly traumatized by that first picture. :)

RATCH said...

Holy cow! Was I drunk when I left that comment? I meant to say
BAILEY seems traumatized IN the first picture.